Get ready for orientation
Get your Class A Permit
Before heading to orientation for the Prime Training Program, you will need to obtain your Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). Our training program will help you earn your Class A CDL, but first, you will need to obtain your permit on your own in your home state. The info below will help guide you through the process of getting your permit.
TAKE YOUR dot PHYSICAL
- Your recruiter will schedule you for a DOT Physical near you.
- Download the Driver Pulse app by Tenstreet on your phone.
- Use Driver Pulse app to view the DOT Physical appointment information and barcode. The clinic will scan your barcode from the app.
- Take DOT Physical and obtain a long form physical (Medical Examination Report Form) plus your medical card.
- You will need to take the long form physical and medical card both to the DMV for permit testing as well as to Prime’s orientation.
Study for your Permit Exam
- Study for these sections:
- General Knowledge
- Air Brakes
- Combination Vehicles
- Tanker Endorsement
- Utilize free apps and websites to help you study.
- These are popular apps drivers use to study for the written permit exam:
- CDL Prep (CDL Practice Test 2019 Edition)
- DMV Genie (DMV Genie Permit Practice Test: Car & CDL)
Take your permit exam
- Go to your local DMV to take the Class A CDL Learner’s Permit.
- Fill out a medical certification form at the DMV that says “Non-Excepted Interstate”.
- Email your Recruiter a picture (front and back) of your Class A Permit once obtained.