Get ready for orientation
WHAT YOU NEED TO GET YOUR COMMERCIAL LEARNER’S PERMIT (CLP)
Before heading to orientation for the Prime Training Program, you will need to obtain your Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). Our training program will help you earn your Class A CDL, but first, you will need to obtain your permit on your own in your home state. The info below will help guide you through the process of getting your permit.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR COMMERCIAL LEARNER’S PERMIT
- You must be at least 18 years of age (Must be at least 21 to drive for Prime Inc.)
- Possess a non-commercial driver’s license. You must have a class drivers license less in a non-permit status to accompany your commercial class A
permit. Class B, C, D, F
- Provide proof of citizenship or lawful residency
- Birth certificate
- Valid passport
- Right to work documents approved by homeland
security ie I94, I55 credentials, which could include a green card.
- Communicate efficiently in English pursuant to 391.11
- Pass all required background checks to qualify for Prime.
TAKE YOUR dot PHYSICAL
- Your recruiter will schedule you for a DOT Physical near you.
- Download the Driver Pulse app by Tenstreet on your phone.
- Use Driver Pulse app to view the DOT Physical appointment information and barcode. The clinic will scan your barcode from the app.
- Take DOT Physical and obtain a long form physical (Medical Examination Report Form) plus your medical card.
- You will need to take the long form physical and medical card both to the DMV for permit testing as well as to Prime’s orientation.
Study for your Permit Exam
- Study for these sections:
- General Knowledge
- Air Brakes
- Combination Vehicles
- Tanker Endorsement
- Utilize online study guides and practice tests to help you study. Here are a few resources we would recommend:
- These are popular apps drivers use to study for the written permit exam:
Pass your permit exam
- Go to your local DMV to take the Class A CDL Learner’s Permit.
- Fill out a medical certification form at the DMV that says “Non-Excepted Interstate”.
- Ensure your permit does not have a K Restriction or Intrastate-Only Restriction.
- Email your Recruiter a picture (front and back) of your Class A Permit once obtained along with your pre-existing Drivers License.
ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS
What is a commercial learner’s permit?
A CLP, otherwise known as a commercial learner’s permit, is similar to other driver’s permits. Once you have obtained it, you can begin truck driver training with experienced instructors. After you’ve completed your training, you can then take the necessary steps to acquire your CDL, which allows you to begin driving on your own.
How long does a commercial learner’s permit last?
This can vary by state. For most, your CLP should expire after 180 days from the date it was issued. States like Missouri allow you to keep your CLP for 360 days before it expires. In Iowa, you can keep your permit for a full year before it expires. Check your individual state’s rules to understand better how long a CLP will be valid.
How much does it cost to obtain a CLP?
Again, the cost of a commercial learner’s permit varies by state. For example, in Missouri, you can get your CLP for $7.50. In Iowa, it’s going to cost you $12. Check with your state to find out how much you’ll be asked to pay for your CLP.