Before you can launch your career as a tractor-trailer driver, you must first obtain a Class A commercial driver’s license, or CDL.
Entering a CDL training program will help you learn the skills you’ll need to pass the CDL exam and start earning money hauling loads across the country. But where should you go for the necessary training?
Private truck driving schools are one option, but tuition can range from $3,000 to as much as $10,000 or more.
Company-sponsored CDL training programs are a great alternative for aspiring drivers who want to save thousands of dollars. For example, Prime offers a CDL training program called the Prime Student Driver (PSD) Program with expert instructors to give you the real-world, hands-on learning you need to earn your CDL and launch your career.
Keep reading to learn some of the benefits of choosing a paid CDL training opportunity.
Advantages of Paid CDL Training
Entering a paid CDL training with a reputable trucking company offers many advantages for anyone who is new to the trucking industry.
- No experience necessary to get started. If you’re new to the trucking industry, Prime’s Student Driver program is an excellent way to acquire the necessary skills.
- No credit check required to enter the program.
- Low-cost training. For new drivers who commit to driving for Prime for 1 year with their CDL, the only cost is $155 to start the training program. The program is valued at $4,475, but you pay nothing except $155 as long as you fulfill the commitment of one year.
- Relatively short training period. After completing a 4-day orientation, you’ll train 1-on-1 with a CDL instructor for 2-4 weeks. You’ll get to run real loads across the country while you develop the skills needed to pass the CDL exam.
- Guaranteed employment with competitive pay. Once you earn your CDL, you are hired as a company driver for Prime and earn a minimum of $700 per week while you complete 30,000 team miles of additional training with a Prime CDL Instructor as long as you are available to drive during this phase of training.
- Once you complete the training program, you can upgrade into your own truck as a solo driver or choose to run with another driver as a team. You also get to choose whether you want to continue as a company driver or start a lease program.
- Full benefits for company drivers. Once you earn your CDL and begin earning money, Prime offers a number of attractive benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as life insurance. You can also participate in Prime’s 401(k) Success Sharing plan and enjoy paid vacation as a company driver.
How Do You Sign Up for Paid CDL Training?
To enter the Prime Student Driver program, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- At least 21 years old
- Valid United States driver’s license for the previous 12 months
- Meet Homeland Security/Transportation Administration requirements
- Able to obtain a US passport, TWIC card and hazmat endorsement
- A stable work history and safe driving record
- Pass a DOT physical to ensure that you are healthy enough to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- An affirmative answer to the questions regarding criminal record will not automatically result in the denial of employment. An applicant’s criminal record will be evaluated based on the job for which the applicant has applied.
- This list does not cover all of Prime’s qualifications. Please fill out an application to see if you qualify.
Is paid CDL training the right path for you to begin your trucking career?
Contact Prime and our recruiters will answer any questions you have, or complete our online application to get on the road to an exciting new career driving for Prime. Classes start every week in Springfield, MO and Salt Lake City, UT.