Life as a truck driver can be an adventure. You get to see new places and travel down the open road. As you drive across the country, you will meet other drivers and, likely, their furry companions. In fact, research shows around 40 percent of truck drivers take pets with them on the road.
If you have a four-legged friend at home, you may be able to make them your co-captain. As a trucking company with a pet policy, Prime recognizes the benefits of traveling with your pet. At Prime, company drivers can bring one pet onboard if the pet weighs less than 40 pounds and the refundable pet deposit has been paid. Independent contractors can have a pet onboard with no pet deposit or weight limit.
Why drive with a pet? Learn more about how pets can improve your health and overall wellbeing.
The Benefits of Pets for Truck Drivers
While many days on the road are good, sometimes life as a solo driver can be lonely. That’s why having man’s best friend along for the ride can brighten your days. Pets can provide you with the following:
- Companionship. With a dog or cat by your side, you won’t feel lonely or isolated from family and friends. You’ll have a loved one with you the whole way! Plus, you won’t have to worry about leaving your pet at home or a boarding kennel. You’ll be fully responsible for your pet’s wellbeing.
- Healthier body. Pets give you more opportunities to be active. It can be hard to find the motivation to exercise on the road. However, if your dog (or cat) wants to go for a walk, you’ll be more likely to take one. Time spent with pets not only increases your physical activity, but it can also lower your blood pressure and possibly lower your risk for cardiovascular disease.
- Reduced stress. Do pets improve your mental health? The answer is yes! The health benefits of having a pet include reduced stress and anxiety levels. Petting or cuddling a dog or a cat has been found to decrease levels of cortisol—our stress hormone. Bonding with our pets also releases oxytocin and other so-called “happy” hormones in both humans and our pets.
- Social interactions. People love to talk about pets. Traveling with a pet is an instant ice breaker. As you walk your dog or carry your cat, you are more likely to engage in conversations with passersby.
- Safety. If you are traveling alone, a pet may help you feel safer at stops. Having a pet, like a dog, around can give you a greater sense of security.
How to Travel with Your Pet
You want to be prepared for your trips, and so does your pet. Before you take your pet on the road, consider pet-proofing your truck and collecting everything your pet needs for travel. You’ll want to make sure your pet has plenty of space and won’t accidentally interfere with your driving. Here are a few things you might need when taking your pet on the road with you:
- Kennel or harness. A kennel or harness can limit your pet’s range of motion and keep them safe while you drive.
- Food and fresh water
- Collar, leash, and ID tags
- Chew toys and scratching posts. Chew toys and scratching posts can entertain your pet and help them feel more at home.
- Other necessities. Don’t forget other necessities that you will need to care for your pet, like waste bags, brushes or a small bed.
Prime Inc.’s Pet Policy
Prime is proud to call ourselves a pet-friendly trucking company. Our drivers may travel with more unique pets, but the most common pets found on the road are cats and dogs. When you arrive at one of our terminals with your pup, they can play in the temporary kennels while you get some rest, do your laundry, grab a bite to eat or wait for the shop to service your truck.
While drivers freshen up at our terminals, Prime pooches can also enjoy a fresh bath at our pet wash stations, too. Pet owners can bathe their pets before they get back on the road.
Is your pet ready to become a member of our Prime family?
Contact us today to learn more about our pet policy, or fill out an application to drive for Prime—and bring Fido with you. We’re one of the largest trucking companies in North America and are proud to say that we train and employ the best drivers in the industry.